- To develop where needed, encourage and restore skills and traditional craftsmanship;
- To develop, encourage progress and uphold standards of the handicraft industry in various ways, including providing research, advisory and expansion services;
- To drive, orientate and assist existing craftsmen toward usage of modern techniques in production, management and marketing;
- To control, increase and improve qualities and maintain the standard and production of handicraft products for the local and international market; and
- To develop marketing and exportation of handicraft products.
The roles of the Malaysian Handicraft as stated under Section 7, Malaysian Handicraft Development Corporation Act, 1979 Act 222 are as follows :